Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Thoughts on breastfeeding

I knew when I was pregnant with Eleanor that I wanted to breastfeed her for as long as possible. I was encouraged to do this by seeing friends who had been successful. But I had no idea how hard this would be. Really. I guess I just thought it would come naturally. It has truly been the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I know that I wouldn't be able to do it without the support of Brad and our friends and family, especially my mom. I can't imagine doing this alone!

I thought it would be easier by now, but 9 weeks in, it is still difficult. It seems that we have one challenge after another. At the hospital, Eleanor did great with nursing. When we got home, she began to have latching issues, since she was so small. Fortunately, a nurse at the newborn clinic gave us a shield to use, which helped Eleanor t0 latch on and be able to nurse. The only problem with this is that she became dependent on it and now that she is big enough to nurse on her own, we are having trouble weaning her from it. Aside from the latch issue, I've had problems with clogged milk ducts several times and nipple pain from thrush. Recently, Eleanor has needed to go back to eating every 2 hours because her weight gain had slowed, and initially my milk supply hadn't caught up with her demand for it. Coupled with the shield, it seemed she couldn't get the milk as fast as she wanted it, so she would become fussy and frustrated. Although I was pumping every 2 hours as well, I wasn't able to pump enough to supplement her feedings. Thankfully, this seems to be getting better.

I want so badly to be able to nurse her for at least the first year. There are days when I'm not sure this will be possible. It's hard on Brad as well, and he's even started using the f-word (formula). I think things are 10x harder with a baby when you are nursing. It would be so much easier to just give in and use formula. But I don't want to take the easy way out. I am so blessed to be able to nurse my daughter. There are plenty of people who want desperately to be able to nurse their babies, but for whatever reason just aren't able to do so. I know that breastfeeding is the best thing that I can do for her, and the time we spend nursing is so special for both of us. I just love the bond we share. Seeing her sweet face getting all the nourishment she needs from my body helps me to make it through the tough times, like the pain of clogged ducts or the exhaustion of hour-long feedings every 2 hours. It still feels like an uphill battle, but seeing how happy and satisfied she is after nursing and knowing that I am doing what is best for her keeps me going. I am determined to make this work! Here's a photo of my sweet girl around 2 or 3 weeks old after she finished nursing. She gets so relaxed that she often falls asleep on the nursing pillow. :)


I would like to add that we have been seeing Dr Saenz at the MS Breastfeeding Medicine Clinic in Madison since Eleanor was about a week old. They are fantastic and so helpful. I was worried going in that we would be scolded for giving Eleanor some formula to supplement feedings since my milk didn't come in until the evening of day 5 or for using the shield to get her to latch. I'm not sure why I thought this, but they were nothing but positive and encouraging. Dr S even suggested that I pump sometimes and give her the expressed milk in a bottle. Her nurse showed us how to give the bottle in a way that more closely mimics nursing so she has to work for it. They also told me that the shield thingies that came with my breast pump were too small. I had no idea there were different sizes. It's been wonderful to get their feedback and not feel rushed. They are a great resource for any breastfeeding mom.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Britney! I found your blog from FB. She is so beautiful! Hang in there with the breastfeeding! You're doing a great job! I had a hard time with Lukas also (not the clogged ducts or any of that for me though) and he wasn't gaining weight & at some point the pediatrician (at the time - we switched later) told me to stop nursing and put everything in a bottle (which I didn't do!). It was so frustrating, & we ended up having to supplement some with formula, but I figured at least he could get as much breastmilk as I could possibly give him! Believe it or not I nursed him until he turned 2! :) Since they recommended to wean at 12 mos. and give whole milk, I figured if he needed milk then breastmilk would be healthier so we kept going and he did great. It DOES get tons easier. . . just hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will get easier, I promise! It takes a long time for your body to adjust to this type of demand. If you ever need to talk to someone or need to ask a question, I am here anytime. I've been through it all with breast-feeding. Don't give up! You are doing a wonderful job! She will gain weight at her own pace and your body will adjust to her needs. The pain will go away and you will hardly remember what it felt like. If you have nipple pain due to latching problems, try lanolin cream if you haven't already. Frequent nursing will help out with the clogged ducts too, even though it's painful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank y'all for the encouragement! It is good to hear from other mommas who have been there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job sticking with it through the pain!! I had a lot of trouble in the beginning too. It seems like everything just kind of clicked around 3 months. I remember sitting on the couch with my husband watching all the Jack Newman videos crying and trying to figure out what I was doing wrong for it to hurt so bad! The only time I got clogged ducts was when I listened to the pediatrician when he told me I was feeding her too often and she was only using me as a pacifier. She ate every 1 1/2 to 2 hours for most of the first year of her life, but I got used to it, and it was no problem at all :) She's 18 months old now and has never had formula or cows milk, and she's only been sick one time. You can do it, and your daughter will be so much healthier because of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! So I just stalked your blog :) I appreciated this post, especially bc I felt like you "understood" us moms who really hoped and desperately tried to breastfeed our babies, but for whatever reason, couldn't. I tried with our sweet girl (although I have a lot of guilt about not trying even harder), but because of the unusual circumstances (hard time positioning, eating out of a bottle from the beginning, trying to nurse after her surgery when she was almost a week old, etc) we just couldn't. I hope to for our next baby! I also appreciate your dedication to Eleanor! Our babies only deserve the best we can give them! Ok, that's all! :)

    ReplyDelete